
Search Results
Search results for "twenty civilian deaths"
3462 results found for "twenty civilian deaths"
- 'It's life and death': how the growth of Addis Ababa has sparked ethnic tensions
inconspicuous, sitting and sipping water in northern Addis Ababa while he talks softly of protest, death It is a matter of life and death.” Meles Zenawi, who ruled Ethiopia from 1991 until his death in 2012, frequently said he did not believe There will doubtlessly be further waves of unrest, and detentions, repression and deaths.
- Migrant Death in Greece Prompts Accusations of Torture
Turkish Migrant Death in Greece Prompts Accusations of Torture Originally published by VOA on January LONDON/IZMIR/ATHENS — The death of a Turkish migrant after he traveled to a Greek island has prompted Baris’ mother, Saime Büyüksu, said her son’s death has devastated the family. The initial autopsy, carried out immediately after Büyüksu’s death and seen by VOA, recorded injuries “It is not the first death we have documented linked to pushbacks,” Nanou said.
- Iran Sentences 3 More Protesters to Death
West Asia News Agency/Reuters) Iran's judiciary has sentenced three more anti-government protesters to death Revolutionary Guards, have been at the forefront of the state clampdown on the unrest sparked by the death Papal criticism Pope Francis on Monday condemned Iran for using the death penalty on demonstrators. "The right to life is also threatened in those places where the death penalty continues to be imposed Under Iran's Islamic law, treason is punishable by death.
- U.N. Panel Says Russia Bombed Syrian Civilian Targets, a War Crime
Times investigation used cockpit recordings to show for the first time how Russian pilots attacked civilians Click on image to view video of Russian bombing attack on Syrian civilians, a war crime. , and an airstrike on a camp for displaced civilians in August that killed at least 20 people. Turkish commanders could bear criminal responsibility for those deaths if the fighters responsible were So why is Russia attacking civilians?
- Girl, 4, becomes face of suffering Rohingya children starving to death amid ‘ethnic cleansing’
Five years after a genocidal wave of anti-Muslim violence forced more than 120,000 Rohingya Muslims into camps in the primarily Buddhist nation of Myanmar, the recently-elected government of Nobel Peace laureate Aung San Suu Kyi appears to have given up any pretense of trying to protect the Muslim minority. Among the victims of the systematic persecution of the Rohingya is Rosmaida Bibi, a tiny frail 4-year-old with big brown eyes, one of a multitude of Rohingya children suffering terribly from malnutrition in a camp that authorities refuse to let anyone leave. Barely the size of a 1-year-old, Rosmaida can hardly walk or even speak. Bones protrude visibly against the pallid skin of her chest. “This is worse than a prison,” said Rosmaida’s 20-year-old mother, Hamida Begum, referring to the makeshift hut where her daughter was born. Told The Associated Press. “I want to give her an education. I want to send her to school like all the other kids. But it’s not possible because she’s so sick … she cannot grow.” The Rohingya have long been denied citizenship, freedom of movement, and other basic rights in Myanmar. But Begum says that back at her former home in Sittwe, Buddhists and Muslims had managed to coexist peacefully. Then, on June 5, 2012, Buddhist mobs began attacking Muslims and burning their homes. Begum says she ran away barefoot, only realizing later that her feet had been badly bloodied during her escape. Today, with the exception of a single district, Muslims are banned from walking the streets of Sittwe. Despite optimism after Suu Kyi’s party swept elections last year, Myanmar’s government has continued to condone persecution, and even “mass killing, mass rape, [and] widespread forced labor,” according to the advocacy group Fortify Rights. In response to an attack by a Rohingya insurgent group that killed nine officers in October, the government responded by burning entire villages, raping their women, and killing an unknown number of people as 75,000 Rohingya fled into neighboring Bangladesh, according to the United Nations. Myanmar’s government offers a differing account of events — according to the government, only 52 people went missing or died during the attacks, and only extremists carried out any killings. A UNICEF report from May estimates that 150 children under the age of 5 die every day in Myanmar. But the U.N. lacks statistics from within the Rohingya camps, where aid workers say the situations is far worse — and where half of all inhabitants are children. Watch video of the Rohingya camps below. ___________________________________________________________________________________________________________________ (c) 2017 New York Times
- ‘Slow death’ in Myanmar camps for 130,000 Rohingya
the Burmese Rohingya Organisation UK (BROUK) provides evidence that the genocidal act known as ‘slow death They have endured a decade of such ‘slow death’ treatment and for a generation of Rohingya children, As documented by BROUK, such conditions of life have led to the preventable deaths of women and children Rohingya continue to be subject to many other severe human rights violations including deaths, beatings
- Police Stand By As Nigerian Christian Is Stoned To Death
(Courtesy of Emmanuel family) Nigerian Police Stand By as Christian Student Is Stoned to Death By Douglas students of blasphemy in a WhatsApp message on May 11, was swarmed by 180 protestors calling for her death then start a catering business,” according to the relative who watched helplessly as she was beaten to death
- Uzbekistan lifts state of emergency after protest deaths
By Mark Trevelyan An Uzbek service member guards a road during a government-organised press visit in Nukus, capital of the northwestern Karakalpakstan region, Uzbekistan July 6, 2022. REUTERS/Mukhammadsharif Mamatkulov/File Photo Uzbekistan's President Shavkat Mirziyoyev on Wednesday signed a decree to lift a state of emergency in the autonomous republic of Karakalpakstan, where at least 18 people were killed when security forces broke up protests earlier this month. Mirziyoyev said on his website that the emergency measures, which included a curfew, were being lifted from 5 a.m on Thursday (midnight GMT on Wednesday) because order had been restored. He had declared a month-long state of emergency on July 2 after protests erupted over a proposal to strip the republic of its autonomous status. The authorities said 14 protesters and four law enforcement officers were killed in the violence, which it blamed on unspecified "foreign forces". It was the deadliest unrest since 2005 in Uzbekistan, a former Soviet Central Asian state with a record of clamping down hard on dissent. Human rights activists and opposition politicians have denied the violence was directed from abroad and rejected statements by the authorities that demonstrators were high on drugs and alcohol. Pulat Ahunov, an Uzbek opposition politician based in Sweden, said he welcomed the lifting of the emergency but urged the authorities to go further. "They also need to release all the demonstrators who were detained, and an ombudsman's commission needs to investigate the use of disproportionate force against demonstrators," he told Reuters. Rights activists are demanding information from the authorities about people they say are still missing or in detention, but say their efforts have been hampered by the state of emergency and by an internet shutdown since the unrest broke out. It was not clear if web access would now be restored. By lifting the emergency nearly two weeks before its scheduled expiry, Mirziyoyev signalled his confidence that he has weathered the biggest crisis of his six-year rule. It prompted him to quickly drop the proposal to take away the autonomy of Karakalpakstan - a status that, at least on paper, gave it the right to secede on the basis of a referendum. He has also twice extended a consultation period for further constitutional reforms that would see presidential terms extended from five to seven years and allow him to run for two more terms. With an area larger than Tunisia, Karakalpakstan has a population of just 1.8 million people but makes up over a third of Uzbek territory. The republic is blighted by health and environmental problems resulting from intensive Soviet-era farming methods and the drying-up of the Aral Sea. Reporting by Mark Trevelyan; Editing by Angus MacSwan and Cynthia Osterman © 2022 Reuters. All rights reserved
- Protests Turn Deadly in Iran After Mahsa Amini's Death
By Rachel Pannett and Miriam Berger A protest in Tehran on Monday over the death of Mahsa Amini while (AFP/Getty Images) Protests in Iran over the death of a young woman while in the custody of its so-called The death of Mahsa Amini, 22, a Kurdish woman from western Iran, during a visit to the capital last week Raisi did not address Amini’s death, and accused the West of having a “double standard” on human rights The Interior Ministry previously ordered an investigation into Amini’s death at Raisi’s behest.
- Kazakh Official Says Six protestors Were Tortured To Death
file photo) Kazakhstan's deputy prosecutor-general, Aset Shyndaliev, says six people were tortured to death The previous death toll provided by the authorities was 230, including 19 law enforcement officers. by domestic and international human rights organizations to launch an international probe into the deaths
- Arizona prepares to use Zyklon B for executions
A petition circulated on May 31 by opponents of the death penalty called on Arizona Governor Doug Ducey Arizona is one of 27 US states that continues to impose the death penalty for crimes such as murder. It currently has 115 prisoners awaiting execution death row after it had suspended executions due to the botched death by lethal injection of a prisoner in 2014. In March, Virginia became the first US state in the South to abolish the death penalty.
- August, 150 starved to death in Ethiopia’s Tigray
By CARA ANNA NAIROBI, Kenya (AP) — A least 150 people starved to death last month in Ethiopia’s embattled (Claire Nevill/WFP via AP) The starvation deaths occurred in six communities as well as in camps for It is the largest public assessment yet of starvation deaths, though The Associated Press reported at least 125 deaths in a single district earlier this year. million people are displaced in Tigray, did not immediately respond to a question about starvation deaths











